CSS Flexbox Ordering Orientation
The CSS Flexbox Ordering & Orientation
The contents of a flex container can be laid out in any direction and in any order.
This allows to trivially achieve effects that would previously have required complex or fragile methods, such as hacks using the float and clear properties.
This are flex properties are used in flexbox ordering orientation(direction):
The reordering capabilities of flex layout intentionally affect only the visual rendering, leaving speech order and navigation based on the source order.
This allows authors to manipulate the visual presentation while leaving the source order intact for non-CSS UAs and for linear models such as speech and sequential navigation.
The flex-direction CSS property sets how flex items are placed in the flex container defining the main axis and the direction (normal or reversed).
- row - This is default value. The flexible items are displayed horizontally, as a row.
- row-reverse -Same as row, but in reverse order.
- column - The flexible items are displayed vertically, as a column.
- column-reverse - Same as column, but in reverse order.
The flex-wrap property sets whether flex items are forced onto one line or can wrap onto multiple lines.
If wrapping is allowed, it sets the direction that lines are stacked.
- nowrap - This is default value. Specifies that the flexible items will not wrap.
- wrap - Specifies that the flexible items will wrap if necessary.
- wrap-reverse - Specifies that the flexible items will wrap, if necessary, in reverse order.
Note: The flex-flow directions are writing mode sensitive. In vertical Japanese, for example, a row flex container lays out its contents from top to bottom.
flex-flow: flex-direction flex-wrap;
- flex-direction - Specifies the direction of the flexible items.
- flex-wrap - Specifies whether the flexible items should wrap or not.
flex-flow: row-reverse wrap-reverse;
The order property sets the order to lay out an item in a flex or grid container.
Items in a container are sorted by ascending order value and then by their source code order.
number - number Default value is 0. Specifies the order for the flexible item.
All CSS Flexbox Properties
|Sets the distribution of space between and around content items along a flexbox's cross-axis or a grid's block axis.
|Sets the align-self value on all direct children as a group.
|Specifies the default alignment for items within the flex container.
|Specifies an element’s display type and can override an element’s defined presentation.
|Sets how a flex item will grow or shrink to fit the space available in its flex container.
|Sets the initial main size of a flex item.
|Sets how flex items are placed in the flex container defining the main axis and the direction (normal or reversed).
|A shorthand property for the flex-direction and the flex-wrap properties.
|Specifies the flex grow factor of a flex item's main size.
|Sets the flex shrink factor of a flex item.
|Sets whether flex items are forced onto one line or can wrap onto multiple lines.
|Specifies the alignment between the items inside a flexible container when the items do not use all available space.